What happens to my jewellery after I leave it with you for repair?
Firstly, Thank You for choosing Barclay’s to repair your jewellery! We know how important and sentimental jewellery is, and we value your trust in us.
This informative blog post is intended to answer any questions you may have about our process, and to ease any worries that you may have about leaving your item with us.
- The first step is to meet with a staff member and discuss what work you would like to have done on your item. Once you enter the store, you want to head towards this sign!
- The staff member enters a description of your item into our computer, as well as a description of the work that needs doing. This information is added onto what we call our ‘Job Bag’; it is a slip of paper that accompanies your jewellery during its stay with us. On the job bag is a barcode with an envelope number that is unique to your item, and allows us to assign different locations to the item. To represent us having an item of yours, you leave the store with a ‘Claim Check’. It also has the barcode and envelope number that corresponds to your item.
- Your item is photographed and put into our ‘To Be Assigned’ drawer, where it will remain until heading to the upstairs work-spaces.
- Once it has reached the 2nd floor, an upstairs administrator reviews the description on the job bag and ensures that a photo has been taken of your item. Any special requests or information is highlighted for the Goldsmith. Once this has been done, the barcode is scanned and the item is assigned to its next location.
- The majority of our repair work is done by our incredible in-house Goldsmith, Lila. On some occasions, and with your consent, your item may be sent to one of our trusted Canadian vendors for specific tasks such as stone polishing, stone matching, or re-stringing. If your item has been determined to go to Lila, it enters her ‘bin’ behind all of the other jobs that were brought in ahead of yours.
- *This is typically where our two-week turnaround time for repairs comes from as Lila can only work so fast and the jobs brought in before yours take priority!
- During Lila’s repair work, your item will be cleaned professionally multiple times. Once her work is completed, she goes over the entire item to make sure everything is perfect. The item then heads out from her workshop, and back onto an upstairs administrators desk.
- Your item is inspected again to ensure that all the tasks listed were completed and up to our standards. After this is done, your item is back on its way downstairs and will enter the ‘To Phone’ bin.
- A telephone call or text message to the number that you have provided us is one of the very last steps, and once we have contacted you or left a message, your item is scanned and assigned to its final location: the ‘Completed’ drawer.
- This drawer is where it will remain until you come to pick it up, and it stays locked outside of our store hours. When you return to get your item, we require you to bring in the ‘Claim Check’ that we gave you upon intake of your item. We then scan this ‘Claim Check’ and the location and information for your item is brought up on our computer.
As you can see, during your item’s overall time with us it goes through several quality checks and typically never leaves our premises. From the moment you leave your item, it is accounted for and tracked accordingly.
We greatly value and hope to maintain your trust in us.
-The Barclay’s Team